SENATOR SHERWIN T. GATCHALIAN, more known by his constituents as “Win,” is no neophyte to public service with his two decades of experience marked by honesty, integrity, and a relentless drive to serve his countrymen.
The call for public service began in 2001—Win was elected initially as Valenzuela City’s first district representative, then later as mayor of Valenzuela City in 2004. In his nine years as chief executive, he has made his life’s mission to champion good governance, fight corruption and focus on improving the accessibility and quality of education in the city. He helped transform Valenzuela City’s education system into one of the nation’s best.
Aside from posting 100-percent work attendance, here are top 10 reasons why he is a Very Productive public servant:
1. KNOWN FOR HIS ADVOCACY ON ACCESSIBLE AND QUALITY EDUCATION. As a legislator, he ensured the proper implementation of Republic Act 10931 or the Free Higher Education Act; championed a landmark legislation which seeks to provide children and youth with special needs the resources, opportunities and care necessary to succeed in school and later in life; implemented a free comprehensive national program for mandatory continuing education for all primary and secondary teachers in both private and public educational institutions as well as formal and non-formal institutions of learning, to name some.
2. KNOWN FOR HIS CONSUMER-FRIENDLY ENERGY POLICY. He institutionalized legislative reforms to ensure the 3S goals on Energy – stability, sustainability, and consumer’s savings; provide “Kuryente for Every Juan” through electrification efforts in rural areas in of the country; attracts new generation capacity and improve the performance of utilities to meet the increasing power needs of the country while delivering quality service to consumers; and increase exploration and utilization of indigenous energy resources to achieve energy security.
3. KNOWN FOR HIS PRO-CONSUMER LEGISLATIONS. He steered the economic resurgence in the Philippines by crafting measures that would promote robust competition, encourage investments, and make doing business in the country easier.
4. KNOWN FOR HIS INFORMATION AND COMMUNICATIONS TECHNOLOGY REFORMS. He promoted competition in the telecommunications industry; improve, expand, strengthen the digital infrastructure in the country to improve internet speeds while lowering cost; foster consumer protection for ICT-related services.
5. KNOWN FOR SEAL OF GOOD HOUSEKEEPING, GALING POOK AWARDS WHILE SERVING VALENZUELA CITY, in METRO MANILA, AS MAYOR. He received the “Seal of Good Housekeeping,” Bronze Category (2012) while serving as Mayor of Valenzuela City given by the Department of the Interior and Local Government to the local government units who demonstrated exemplary performance in local governance. On the same year, he received the “Galing Pook Awards” for Top Ten Outstanding Local Governance Programs for 3S in Public Service Program with the City Government of Valenzuela recognized for its anti-graft and corruption platform to guarantee transparency and good governance.
6. KNOWN FOR LEADING A MOST BUSINESS-FRIENDLY LOCAL GOVERNMENT UNIT – HIGHLY URBANIZED CITY CATEGORY. This was given by the Philippine Chamber of Commerce and Industries in 2012, a clear manifestation of good governance reforms to promote trade, investment, transparency, efficiency, and competitiveness in delivering business services.
7. UNDER HIS WATCH, VALENZUELA CITY WAS ADJUDGED NUMBER ONE IN NATIONAL CAPITAL REGION IN THE NATIONAL ACHIEVEMENT TEST (NAT) for ELEMENTARY in school year 2010-2011 through the “Win sa Edukasyon” Program. Valenzuela City garnered the most number of achievers in the NAT exam which gauges the academic competency of Grade 6 elementary students entering Junior High School.
8. CHOSEN BEST MAYOR IN CAMANAVA IN 2008. The National Police Commission (Napolcom) awarded him as Best Mayor in Camanava (Caloocan, Malabon, Navotas and Valenzuela) for the logistics and financial support to the Philippine National Police – Valenzuela City programs – Police Visibility Program and PNP’s Mamang Pulis Program.
9. BACHELOR IN FINANCE. He is a graduate of Bachelor of Science Major in Finance and Operations Management of Boston University in Boston, Massachusetts in the United States of America. He was responsible for the operations management of various industries, working on multiple markets, adapting to grow trends in business and economics, and being in the mainstream of the country’s trade and industry from serving as executive vice president and chief financial officer, and moving to serve as president and chief executive officer, in private corporations.
10. STRONG PUBLIC SERVICE EXPERIENCE AND EXAMPLE. He won a successful dark horse bid for a Senate seat beginning in 2016 by galvanizing the youth vote with a single promise—to pass legislation establishing a tuition-free scheme in state universities and colleges. Only a year into his term, the Senate approved Senate Bill No. 1304, Affordable Higher Education for All Act, a consolidated version of Win’s Free Higher Education Act, a landmark legislation that would make education within reach of deserving but underprivileged students. The measure was eventually enacted into law as Republic Act No. 10931, Universal Access to Quality Tertiary Education Act in August 2017—setting the stage for millions of young Filipinos to attain a free college education in the coming years. Prior to that, he was representative of the 1st district of Valenzuela City in the 12th Congress, City Mayor from 2004-2013; a congressman again in the 16th Congress from 2013-2016.#